Not your normal 9-to-5
No – hiking for 11 weeks is not like anything I’ve ever done before. I’m normally a late-to-bed-late-to-rise person, but all that went out of the window on this expedition.
So – this is what a day in the life of a LEJOG hiker looks like…
- Alarm: 5:30 – 7:00 am
- Breakfast in bed
- Pack tent
- Depart 1 ¼ hr after alarm
- 30 min breaks about 11:00 am and 2:00 pm
- Stop walking about 3:30 – 6:00 pm
- Pitch tent, shower, pack for evening by 1 hr after arrival
- 6:30 pm approx. depart for evening meal
- 7:00 – 9:30 pm: meal, write blog, book accommodation 1 week ahead; check sponsors; plan next day’s route, phone home
- Bed: 10:00 – 10:30 pm
Obviously, I varied the routine a bit depending on how far I was walking, but every day had these main elements. And it was a pretty relentless routine, too, as I didn’t take any rest days at all en route.